Saturday 7 March 2015

Mango

I just ate a whole mango to myself.
'Was there no-one around you could have shared it with?' I hear you cry.
Do I hear that? I remember once confessing that at times I ate almost to the bottom of  a big pot of yogurt in a frenzy of greed - attacking it as I was putting the shopping away - unable to get it into the fridge without ripping its top off and 'sampling' it.... and then Carol and Helena (for it was indeed they) just looked at each other and said: 'So?'
Maybe everyone else has a mango each so this is no big deal, but any fruit that costs more than 50p for one fruit brings out in me a kind of (did I have SUCH a Presbyterian upbringing?) puritan dismay that such a costly food has made it into the house. Mind you; ours might be a house where we are  used to scrimping and making-do, but actually we are by no means... oh, what is the opposite of self indulgent? That, anyway. We're not. But we do share our mangoes. And now I've just eaten the whole thing. There was no-one else here. They were all out. I was on my own.
Ah well - in the words of  Roy Orbison Only the lonely..... know the heartache, of peeled fruit....

Or as Helena and Carol might say - 'So?'

No comments:

Post a Comment